What is the Difference between a Cloud and Virtual Server?
Difference between Cloud Solution and Virtual Server
- In a Cloud if a physical server fails, then there is an option of migrating cloud servers into another physical server without experiencing an outage ; in VPS this is not available .Here it is seen that when any physical server fails all the VPSs on that server fails.
- A cloud platform has multiple servers, so customers has the benefit of having unlimited storage, maximum bandwidth, managed load balancing service ; in VPS storage is based on physical server limitations. Once the customer reach the maximum VPS capacity, he has to buy more space or look for some other options.
- In cloud one will be only paying for the services which he has used ;in VPS if the traffic suddenly goes down the customer will end up also paying for the space he has not used.
- Cloud server is scalable ,one can add more resources to the server like RAM,processors for data backup ; VPS is not scalable in this regard.
- Cloud is more complex than VPS in terms of configuration ; in VPS as the server partition is isolated and the data is stored in one centralized location, one can customize and configure the environment exactly how they want.
- Cloud is highly flexible and the resources are spread across multiple machines making it highly available ; the flexibility feature is not available in VPS.
- Cloud is most suitable for businesses where there are chances of unpredictable traffic and high resource usage while VPS is most suitable for businesses with predictable traffic.