How is VPS hosting different from cloud VPS hosting?
VPS stands for a virtual private server. A physical server is housed in a data center, the location of which depends on the hosting provider you’re using. These physical servers will generally be divided into multiple different VPS, dedicated, or shared servers. A VPS will be used for a dedicated server and can be customized to the liking of the user.
Pros of VPS:
- When comparing to cloud hosting, VPS hosting is less expensive.
- You get more power with more resources for your business websites.
- Very easy to upgrade to the higher resources whenever you want it to update.
- You can also rebooted your server without affecting other VPSs on same physical server.
- You will get complete control of your VPS hosting account including full root access for installing the preferred applications.
Cons of VPS:
- In VPS Server it does not offer high-availability. If that machine fails, all the VPSs on that server will go down as result, your website may face downtime.
- Only single OS can be used on each physical machine.
- You will need to have more technical skills to manage VPS server.
- They do not offer high-availability.
Cloud hosting is hosting providing via a cloud platform. Basically virtual servers that can host your website, application, servers, infrastructure or anything. This is more or less a metaphor. Cloud Computing is the idea of computing as a utility.
Pros of Cloud Hosting:
- Custom Infrastructure
- High Availability
- Each customer on the cloud can select their specific operating system.
- Unlimited web storage space as it is based on SAN storage.
- It has Centralised storage with RAID configuration where you no need to fear about your data loss.
cons of Cloud Hosting:
- Lack of internet access leaves data out of reach.
- Little room for negotiations on contracts.
- Lack of control when it comes to data ownership and location.
- Migration and synchronization challenges
- More expensive than VPS Server hosting.